Healthy Spicy Turkey Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 large white onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- sea salt (to taste – about 1-2 tsps)
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 (28 oz) can organic no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup no salt added chicken broth
- 1 (19 oz) can of black beans
- 1 (19 oz) can of white kidney beans
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the thawed ground turkey, and cook, breaking it up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until it’s no longer pink and is just cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, measured salt, oregano, cumin, cayenne, and cinnamon, stir to coat the turkey and vegetables, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices as well as the broth or stock, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Add the beans and return to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the bay leaf, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors meld, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Taste and season with additional salt as needed. Serve with cheese, sour cream, or chips for topping.